Skip to main content

Audiobooks: Notes from a Picky Listener



I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks lately.  Between all the knitting I've been doing, and the fact that work has left me feeling a bit under the weather, I've had a lot of time to sit and listen.

I've always been a bit picky about audiobooks.  I'm very particular about what I like in terms of narration: the accent of the narrator, the rate of speech, and the amount of inflection and added emphasis all play a role in my enjoyment of the book.  Over the last couple of years I have gotten less picky. I've learned to listen to anything questionable before bed when I'm half asleep and disinclined to complain, leaving everything else for when I'm traveling or otherwise looking to be entertained.

More specifically, I like audiobooks with narrators who speak a bit more quickly or at a rate at which I can speed the audio up a bit and still not lose anything.  I dislike added dramatics or emphasis in either places where I don't think it's needed or in places where it emphasizes flaws in the writing or the plot (e.g. reading whiny teens in a whiny voice, particularly if swooning over a boy is involved).  It needs to be engaging. I want something that I wouldn't mind listening to multiple times. Yet at the same time it needs to be something that if I decide to curl up for a nap (e.g. on the bus), it won't keep me awake or wake me up.  I want soothing but not boring or overly animated. I know a lot of this has to do with the original writing as much as anything else, but there's another factor at play as well. I don't like narrators who read the same way everyone else does, which is something I seem to run into often.  It's as if there's a sort of tv or radio voice version of the audiobook narrator and I'm not a fan. 

All that being said, I've compiled some of my favorites from 2014, here. Adding to that there's also Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, narrated by Ari Fliakos, BBC radio adaptations of pretty much anything, and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, narrated by Davina Porter.

If you're looking for other audiobook narrators, there's a great guide here.  In particular, I'm looking forward to making my way through the comments for  more suggestions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and