Skip to main content

Audiobook Favorites



While I still have to finish a post on my favorite audiobook narrators, I thought I would share a couple of my favorite audiobooks from last year. I’ve listed these in the order that I listened to them in to avoid the agony of having to rank them.

Anil’s Ghost by Michael Ondaatje narrated by Alan Cumming
The combination of Ondaatje’s writing and Cumming’s narration is some sort of cosmic fate. Ok, I know that sounds a little bit dramatic, but I love this audiobook so much. It’s the second audiobook in my life that’s solidified by faith in the medium. I’m picky, I know, but when you stumble upon something as awesome as this, the hours of slogging through audio samples is totally worth it. Aside from my possibly overenthusiastic love there’s also the fact that this is the first audiobook that made me realize I might be on to something in terms of translated or foreign books. While the novel wasn’t translated, the story is almost entirely contained in Sri Lanka. Unfamiliar names and words tend to get stuck in my head and clog up the reading process, but with audiobooks this doesn’t happen. The words fall smoothly into sentences and roll around pleasantly in my head, meaning that I’ve now found a way to expand the scope of literature I’m exposed to.

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain narrated by Anthony Bourdain
I’m not normally a fan of author read narrations, but with Anthony Bourdain anything he writes needs to be written by him. I would almost go so far as to say don’t even bother with the book. His books are great, don’t get me wrong, but I’ve never been able to read anything written by him once I listened to him reading his own writing. There’s just something extra that comes across with the reading that isn’t there on the page.

The Old Kingdom Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix narrated Tim Curry
I love the pace of the audiobooks as much as I love the fact that all three are narrated by the same person which makes for great continuity. While these weren’t my favorite audiobooks of they year, I did enjoy them immensely and am looking forward to checking out more of Curry’s work.

Syndrome E by Franck Thilliez narrated by Gildart Jackson
I love this audiobook. If there was an English translation of the novel I would love it as well. If I hadn’t tried and failed abismally several times to learn French, I would consider taking on the task so that I would be able to read the rest of the books in the series. While normally I would take into account this love coloring my assessment of the narration, the fact that I suffered through possibly the worst book ever written for the sole reason that I needed Jackson’s narration not to end, esponges any worry I may have. Jackson’s narration is fantastic. If I had to pick a favorite for the year, this audiobook would definitely be in contention for first place.

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki narrated by Ruth Ozeki
Perfection. I sat and listened to sections of this audiobook several times in a row and then scoured the internet looking for author readings. Frankly I’m happy to listen to Ozeki talk about almost anything, but I love her narration of the in particular. I have picked up the (written) book to see how it compares, but even with the footnotes and other added material I’m not sure it’s going to be able to surpass the warmth and depth of the audiobook. Out of all of the audiobooks mentioned here, this is the one that creates the most distinct sense of individual characters.

A Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith narrated by Robert Glenister
Again this wasn’t my favorite audiobook of the year, but I did enjoy it immensely. Most of my problems with the book were with the writing and not the narration itself.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson narrated by Simon Vance
I have suffered through many a book narrated by Vance simply because he narrated them. It’s so wonderful to find another book narrated by him that is as compelling and well written as this one. I’m currently 80% done with the audiobook and am hoping to do a review, particularly considering how varied (in all the best ways) it is from the film (2009: I haven’t seen the American adaptation), which I loved. One of the things that particularly struck me about the audiobook (and the English translation in general) is the conversion of units (Fahrenheit, miles ect) in the text. I can make due with metric, but there’s something about this little touch that I found particularly endearing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and