Skip to main content

Read Around the World Challenge


A couple of years ago when I first heard about Ann Morgan's resolution to read one book from every country, I thought it was a nice idea, an exercise too impossible for me to bother with. Lately though, with the growing momentum behind the various reading diversely campaigns I've started to see how dismissive I was. Even now, it certainly isn't an easy goal but it's not impossible. Not to mention with the (slowly) growing attention being paid to the lack of international and translated literature, projects like this are just as important now as they have been. Part of the reason I started to read more diversely was to draw attention to diverse literature, to seek it out and learn about it and to share it with others. To ignore the larger global scope of the problem is, at best, foolish.

Because I already have my 2016 reading goals in place, I'm not making this a challenge for 2016, but I am making this part of my resolutions; I want to read more diversely on an international scale.

I don't want to restrict myself too much, so I've tried to keep the guidelines simple:

  • I'm including as many forms of writing as possible: prose, poetry, fiction, nonfiction, full length novels, novellas, and short stories are in. I'm also including plays and written reports. Individual articles, blog posts, and similar short media don't count for this project, but are definitely welcome.
  • To count for a particular country the author must have been born in that country and/or lived there for an indeterminate but "significant" period of time. In short what I want, as much as possible, is a native's perspective on the history and culture of an area or a country. While I know this is subjective, I want to avoid seeing things through the lens of an outsider. What little I already know about a lot of these places falls within that realm and I'm looking for something different.
  • While I'm most interested in writing that reflects the current state of the world or recent historical events, larger scale or older works may be included as long as they have some relevance to the current state of things.
Because I can't resist a good excel spreadsheet, I've divided my list of countries up into thirteen groups each with roughly 20 countries. I'm aiming to read one to two books from each group per year. I know continuing at this pace will mean it will take me at least six years to finish, but I'm not too concerned about that right now.

To make my list of countries I started with the UN list of sovereign states then added a couple of unlisted (mainly autonomous) areas like Tibet and Iraqi Kurdistan. Currently I do have a number of territories and commonwealths included as well, although I'm not sure if those will remain in the project or not. I've also broken down the UK and Canada (by province- yes, I really needed an excuse to read more Canadian lit) and excluded countries like the U.S., England, and Australia from which I've read at least 10 books in the last three years. In total I currently have 255 countries listed: 206 sovereign states, 13 Canadian provinces/territories, the 4 countries of the UK, and 30 autonomous areas, dependent territories, and commonwealths.


To track my progress I wanted something with more visual immediacy than a list so I've created a map. At first I thought pushpins would be fun, but at a smaller scale that would be impractical, so I've gone with color coding despite it having its own issues, particularly when dealing with smaller areas and islands. While I would prefer something I can put together easily and can use at a glance to gauge my progress, I'm thinking of including inserts for parts of Oceania and the Caribbean, unless someone can suggest something better. The color coding process itself was a breeze: grey countries are those I've excluded as explained above, yellow are unread, light green are countries from which I read at least one book between 2013 and 2015, and dark green countries (none yet) are countries from which I've read at least one book since the start of the project in 2016.

And because I'd like to encourage you all to join me (to whatever extent you're willing) and because I'm forever misfiling bookmarks, I've included the list of resources I've started to compile.

General (or Multi-Country) Resources:
Country or Region Specific Resources

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and