Skip to main content

Top 10 Books From My Childhood That I Would Love To Revisit*

 

I know I could cheat a bit and make a list of my favorite childhood books, but since the focus is supposed to be on revisiting old favorites, I'm not including any books I've reread in the last couple of years. All the books on this list are included because, as with any reread, I would love to see how my opinion of the text has changed, and how this shifts my relationship with the text and my view of the world.

Both, The Coffin Quilt (1999) and In My Father's House (1993) by Ann Rinaldi
While Time Enough for Drums will always be my favorite Ann Rinaldi book, quite a few of her novels have had a big impact on my life and on my reading habits. While I've always loved historical fiction, it wasn't until I started reading Rinaldi's books that I realized just how much I loved them. Her books shaped everything from my understanding of period dress, to family dynamics, and the politics of the American South. For me, books like Cold Mountain and the more modern Prodigal Summer ring with echoes of Rinaldi's books.

The Green Book (1982) by Jill Paton Walsh
After reading The Space Ship Under the Apple Tree (possibly twice) and hating it for reasons I can't recall, I thought I was doomed to hate SciFi forever. While I certainly didn't realize it at the time, the wonder I felt while reading The Green Book (particularly at the end), paved the way for my love of SciFi, as odd and specific as it might be.

Felicity: An American Girl (1992) by Valerie Tripp
I can't say if my love for these books was in part due to my love of the time period or if my love of the time period grew from my love of these books, but I do know that either way these books where the portal through which I learned to love a lot of other things; I learned to crochet (the first time), set a table for a dinner party, and became aware of the role of technology in society (by contrast) because of these books. They also fostered in me a love for simplicity and a curiosity about nature.

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (1990) by Avi
This is the only book on this list that I know I've read close to a dozen times, but it's been long enough since I've read it that I'm a little hazy on the details as to why. The ending in particular, has stuck with me though, the sense of a shared secret between Charlotte and the reader, that feeling of knowing the truth despite what everyone else might think.

After the First Death (1979) by Robert Cormier
I've read this book exactly once and hated it. I appreciated it, but I hated it. Unlike One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which I disliked because of the reading experience itself, After the First Death I disliked because it did nothing for me. I wasn't invested; I couldn't relate.

A String in the Harp (1976) by Nancy Bond
I don't remember there being any sort of fantastical elements in this book as the blurb claims. In fact, I don't remember much about the story itself. What I remember is taking this book home from school at the end of the year feeling intimidated by its size but proud (I can't remember if I was given the book, if I was allowed to pick it out, or if I won it, but at 10, I don't think that distinction made much of a difference). I know it took me a while to pick it up, months or years I'm not sure, but given that seeing it on my shelf still makes me smile I would love to be able to say more about it as a story.

Dicey's Song (1982) by Cynthia Voigt
I remember checking this book out of the library and begrudging the cover for its unattractiveness but loving how deeply the book made me feel. It was one of the few books that I related to in inexplicable ways at a young age.

The Bell Jar (1963) by Sylvia Plath
I loved this book when I read it and I loved it even more as I listened to my classmates whine about how much they had disliked it. The latter was more a feeling of vindication rather than love, having had disliked most of the books we read that year in school, but my love for the novel itself was something else. The world it presented was recognizable to my teenage self but it was also grown up, skewed and twisted in mysterious ways. The book was something I understood and yet I didn't, and I loved that about it.

Lord of the Flies (1954) by William Golding
This was another of the books I read for that rather ill-fated English class. While it's possible I liked the book while reading it, I abhorred it by the time we finished discussing it. The only thing I can remember now from the class discussion is the cartoon pig head someone glued to a drinking straw and taped next to the clock. That's not the greatest endorsement for a text, I know, but it is enough to make me curious about how I would feel about the book after a reread.

* This post is part of Top Ten Tuesdays run by The Broke and the Bookish. For more prompts or to see other submissions check out their blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and