Skip to main content

Flora and Fauna Identification: Introduction Post

One of my initial goals for my 101 in 1,001 was to learn to identify the most common flora and fauna in the state. While this is something I still want to do, I’ve begun by expanding the criteria a bit. Local flora and fauna are important to me, native species are important to me, but as I’ve travelled more I’ve begun to realize in a concrete way just how interesting species variation is. It’s not just their adaptations and the more subtle changes between related species in different places but their interaction with their changed environment as a whole. Noticing these changes and making comparisons between these new species and the ones I’m more familiar with has definitely piqued my scientific curiousity, particularly when I stop to consider the larger, global picture.

I’ve always been interested in environmental issues, particularly climate change, but it wasn’t until recently that I stopped to think the effects this has on a day to day level, not in my life but environmentally. What role does this play in the street trees we plant or which plants keep showing up in our landscaping? Three hundred years ago what plants did we bring over from Europe? How is this different from the plants and other species we’re introducing today?

As I’ve begun to think about this and do some research I realized that I don’t have access to a lot of this information. Some of this information is there but incomplete, and sometimes there are other gems, things I hadn’t known to look for which I find fascinating. So while I may not be able to answer the questions I’ve posed, I can share these gems and the other information I’ve gathered with all of you. I’m hoping this will encourage you to share what you know, and maybe together we can fill in some of the gaps.

I don’t have an exact post format figured out yet, but I do have photos of about two dozen plants and trees to get started with. Most of them are common ornamental tree varieties, but I would ultimately like to extend this series to include more practical homesteading information: focusing mostly on plants, particularly herbs and fruit trees, but for now, I’m not against building a imaginary forest in my head.

Individual posts will focus on a particular species or a particular subset of a species, most often from the same genus. Information will very somewhat between posts but I’ll try to provide the following when it’s relevant. For trees and plants this will include taxonamy, common names, identifyable features, history (when available), cultivation and use, and other common related species, focusing in particular on Northeastern natives since that’s still my primary area of interest. Posts on animals will very more widely in content and may be grouped into a small number of posts, possibly based on families. All posts will contain reference lists, in case you’re looking for more information. I’m aiming for one post a month for the first part of the year, hopefully bumping it up to two or more closer to the start of summer when I will be out collecting more photos.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and