Skip to main content

Decisionitis



Decisionitis


Utica, NY

16 April 2013

8:56pm pm local | 9:27 pm est

I had a bit of decision paralysis over the weekend in regard to my impending stay in London. I’m sure there’s a more scientific word to describe it other than ‘AHHHHHHHHHH’ but regardless, it was a bit of a problem. I know myself well enough to know that I shouldn’t plan a dozen things to do in four days. There’s a good chance jetlag will kick my butt or the weather won’t cooperate. Plus if there’s one time I don’t mind a bit of spontaneity (and by that I mostly mean epic tv watching) in my life, it’s when I’m travelling. The problem is, I watched a couple of London travel vids on Youtube, and suddenly wanted to do everything. And by everything, I mean everything, things I wouldn’t normally consider like ferries (hello motion sickness) or bus tours (I prefer the walking alternative) mixed in with all the usual suspects.

In the end, I gave up and went back to reading the book I started last week (Clean by Alex Hughes if anyone's wondering) and figured this whole travel planning business would get straightened out later. It did, of course, but the funny thing about decisionitis is that it highlights a couple of things: notably that travelling with other people is nice because they can make all the complicated-like decisions and that I really need to stop and look at the things the compulsive planner in me had already planned out.

Lists and planning are good, but with a trip this size things tend to get overlooked, and this time my ‘Things To Do in London’ list had fallen by the wayside. Looking it over, I discovered most of the things I really wanted to do from the videos were already there on the list. There were bookshops, walks through several of the more scenic parts of London, a trip through Whitechapel and the Sunday markets, a day in Oxford. There was also a nice big gap on Saturday so that I could have a day off, wander around a bit, pretend I’m stalking Becca’s vacation, and get a feel for the city without getting caught up in all the touristy hype.

I'm calling this one a win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and