Skip to main content

List of Travel Related Misgivings

I'm planning on doing quite a bit of travelling this summer, quite a bit of it internationally, all of it quite a ways away from the creature comforts of my house and my kitchen.  For the most part, I'm staying with friends which is awesome and amazing and helps ease some of my misgivings but I'm also concerned about a couple of things, and since making lists of concerning things makes them less concerning, here's my list:

     &  I don't know what I'm going to eat- I have a pretty specific diet (strict paleo) and it's not the most travel-friendly diet considering I'm on it because I feel rather cruddy when I'm not.  At home I manage by cooking all of my own food, everyday.  This isn't something I necessarily want or would be able to do while travelling.
     &  Airport food- or more specifically getting edible food through airport security to address the above food issue.  Airport security, or really any security for that matter, and I don't have the best track record for reasons I don't understand.
     &  Vitamins and supplements- specifically the availability of both since I kind of want to block out a huge chunk of the summer and do all my travelling then, which means packing once for a span of several months.  I'm picky about my supplements, no chemically crud, so I don't know if I'll be able to pick them up along the way.  I also don't want to be packing a two or three month supply; I value my suitcase space a bit too much for that.
     &  Lack of suitcase space- I want to bring the smallest suitcase possible since I'll be the one lugging it around and lugging even a small suitcase gets exhausting for me rather quickly.  At the same time though I want to have enough space to pick up either a book, a skein of yarn, or something thrifted from the majority of places that I visit.
     &  My DSLR- I can't decide whether or not I should bring it.  It takes up quite a bit of space, especially once I start packing lenses (my favorite thing about the camera).  I do like my new point and shoot, particularly since it does take video.  The picture quality is comparable if not better than my DSLR but I really hate the lack of manual control.  I hardly ever use the auto settings on my camera but with my point and shoot it's difficult and time consuming to fiddle with what few manual settings are available.
     &  Lack of phone/communication device/digital maps/directions
     &  Lack of motivation to actually get up and do stuff- Part of the blah lazy blah that comes along with my vacations comes from falling off the proper diet bandwagon, so I'm hoping some of that will get fixed this year now that I know that.  I'm also hoping that this project will help a bit since creating something everyday will most likely turn into snap a photo every day, which requires me to get off my butt and go outside or go someplace new, even if it's just the coffeeshop around the corner.


Sunday ETA:
Solutions list (because Becca will pat me on the head):
     &  Make a list of edible food, make an accompanying list of quick recipes (no one said it has to be gourmet), pack a microwavable bowl and some silverware (and a can opener), pack a jar of salad dressing and a smaller portable spill proof container.  Also, remember sweet potatoes and tuna are amazing.
     &  Stalk airport maps and restaurant lists, plan for delays this time, to try and prevent ridiculous amounts of backtracking.
     &  Plan on restocking in the PNW and/or Boston (yay mailing address yay).  Don't be lazy scope this out ahead of time.
     &  Stuff sacks and more stuff sacks.  Here's the google search that lists ways to make your own.  Remember that I generally wear more PJs than real clothes and that the real clothes I wear tend to be limited to a couple of my favorite outfits.  Leave the rest at home.
     &  Leave the DSLR at home (*whimpers*) it's too clunky and camera-y.  I prefer incognito street photography while on vacation.
     &  I have no idea.... a smart phone would solve this and the camera problem but money doesn't grow on trees so....
     &  Inform all friends who will be putting up with me, that this is a problem and I intend to fix it.  Make up a list of things that would be cool to do and see if they're up for that (spending a day in Portland, spending an afternoon at the seawall, going to see a show in Strat-freaking-ford, window shopping at book/yarn/thrift stores).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaser Tuesday - April 14th

"My mother would never let the hearth die in her home," Margret said. She felt Agnes turn to look at her, but didn't meet her gaze. "She believed that as long as a light burned in the house, the Devil couldn't get in. Not even during the witching hour." Agnes was quiet. "What do you believe?" she asked eventually. Margret extended her hands towards the flames. "I think a fire is a useful thing to keep a body warm," she said. - Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . For other contributions click here .

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesday because Becca 's quote from Catcher in the Rye makes me wonder what my  problem with that book is. Teaser Tuesday is  hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Grab your current read. Let the book fall open to a random page. Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page. You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve  given! The various images bounced against each other until she felt a desperate vertigo, as if she could at any moment pitch backward and plunge head first down the well shaft and drown there, the sky far above her, her last vision but a bright circle set in the dark, no bigger than a full moon.  (p. 49) --  Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Vancouver 2014: Camping!

Camping is one of those things that's hard to share via picture, moving or still.  It's so much about the experience, the stars overhead, the springy soft ground underfoot, the wind on your face, that first pure hint of morning light, meals cooked by fire and ember. Sure there are the stories you tell, the ones around the campfire and down at the lake, and the ones you tell after, but it's not the same.  Stories can conjure memories and emotions but they can't make the sun shine or moths fall from overhead lights.  Okay, maybe the last one, moths are sneaky, but the rest, these personal moments and experiences, they're a lot harder to convey.  I'll leave it at I had an absolutely amazing time, despite the lack of nonrock based floors and comfortable chairs, I would have turned right around and done it again.  The lack of technology was restful and the presence of that much nature was restorative.  We mostly relaxed but I did get to see some amazing sights and